Monday, July 01, 2013

My Last Birchbox

Sorry I haven't posted in a long time.  I was very, very busy with work, and then I got sick (thanks to stress and my crazy schedule).  I'm finally feeling better and now I'm off work for most of July.  I need the downtime.  I am planning to do some blog updates, but since it is summer and I need a break from all responsibilities, there may be periods of no posts for a bit.  I guess what I'm saying is hang in there!

In the midst of my feeling gross, I received my June Birchbox and a notification that my yearly subscription was up for renewal.  Here's what was in the June box:
  • Birchbox and Color Club nail polish from the Wanderlust Collection ($8 for 4 mini-bottles). I got Reign in Spain, but there are a total of four colors: London Calling (a sunny green), Reign in Spain (a fiery coral), Pardon My French (candy-colored lavender) and Mod in Manhattan (a brilliant off-white).  I am not thrilled with the color I got, but I may give it a try.  I'm pretty sure it won't look great with my skin tone.
  • Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk (full price: $18).  This is an award-winning oil-busting dry shampoo that is beloved by celebs.  I have tried many different dry shampoos and always get the same result: disappointment.  I am so not a fan of these products.  I may try this one, but I have super low expectations.
  • Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser (full size: $32.95). This is a two-in-one cleanser and exfoliator that "magically" lathers and leaves a lemony smell.  I'll give this a try, but i am not impressed by the tiny, tiny size of the sample.
  • The Laundress Wash and Stain Bar (full size: $6). This is a "lifestyle extra" for the box, and honestly, I wish it had been left out.  It smells so strong that the minute I open the box, it is all I can smell.  It is a little bar that helps remove stains.  I like the idea of this product...I just wish it didn't have such a strong scent.  Blech.
  • Also included was a sample of Something Blue, a perfume from Oscar de la Renta.  

So...this is my last Birchbox.  As I mentioned, I got an email saying that my annual subscription was up for renewal.  This email came around the same time as my June box.  I was not impressed with the June box, and haven't really been digging the samples in the Birchboxes this year.  So I canceled.  And I feel good about this decision. 

Over the months, the size of the box got smaller, and I was less and less impressed with the products I received. If I could fix Birchbox, I would include a full size product every month, have a wider variety of products, and stop sending stupid samples of perfume (the kind you get for free in department stores) in each and every box.  I seriously have a Birchbox that is overflowing with perfume samples that just need to be thrown out. 

I love the idea of Birchbox and subscribed for two years.  Yes, I'll miss it, but I think it's time to move on.  Who knows...maybe I'll check out a different monthly service, like Glossybox.  We'll see!

No comments: