Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Springtime Travel: Lighten Up!

Now that Spring is here, Spring Breaks are starting up, and that means it's time to shed heavy winter layers and head out to see the world.  Warmer weather and travel go well together.

Below are three tips for lightening up in time for Spring travel, courtesy of New York City based beauty and fashion expert Justine Santaniello.  Since this is my blog, I've added my own two cents as well, below in green. 

Tip #1 – Bring Out Your Natural Beauty 
 Spring getaways are the perfect time to embrace a more natural look. “A loose bun paired with a pop of coral lips is such an effortless way to look beautiful while traveling this spring. It is a very low maintenance look that will still leave you looking pulled together,” says Santaniello. Another tip to leave you looking chic while on spring holiday is going for neutral nails in lieu of brightly colored or dark nail polish which can chip easily.

I completely agree.  Getaways are time for a more effortless look.  But remember: effortless doesn't mean sloppy.  When I'm traveling, I wear minimal makeup.  My two essentials are mascara and lip balm.  Oh, and don't forget the SPF.  Apply it liberally, because your travel tan could cause you grief years later.  Skin cancer is not sexy.

I love Santaniello's tip for keeping nails simple.  I usually go for a coat of clear polish before a trip.  Or, if you really MUST have your nails done, try a gel or shellac mani before a trip since they last forever. 

Tip #2 – Defend Against Dehydration 
 Do not let the dry air in plane cabins wreak havoc on your skin before arriving at your destination. “Apply a rich moisturizer the night before your flight to increase hydration before you are exposed to the drying effects of cabin pressure,” advises Santaniello. While you may have the basics covered with hydration, do not miss those sometimes forgotten areas that need moisturization too, like the delicate underarm area. Dove go sleeveless Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant is the only formula on the market with Vitamins E & F plus Dove ¼ moisturizers and provides softer, smoother underarms in just five days while providing 48-hour odor and wetness protection.

Don't forget to drink lots of water when you're traveling.  Vacations typically also mean saltier food and more alcohol, both of which will dry you out.  

I've used Dove go sleeveless for ages; it's my favorite deodorant.  It does seem more moisturizing than most on the market, and it does help make your underarms look better after repeated use.  It does nothing for dreaded upper arm flab, though--and that's one reason why I rarely go sleeveless! ;) 

Tip #3 – Lighten Your Fashion Load 
Travel with ease this spring by packing lightweight, versatile clothing like a sleeveless black jersey dress that can easily transition from day to evening with a jacket or wrap layered over it. Sixty one percent of women across America, ages 18-35, feel sexy and feminine when going sleeveless and so lightweight, sleeveless styles like maxi dresses are a must.

When I travel, I take clothes that I can mix and match.  If you're like me and would never wear a maxi dress (which I think is tough to pull off when you're curvy and short!), go for classics and look for easy ways to change up your look.  I love scarves, wraps, and jackets since they can change an outfit in a snap.

What are your tips for effortless spring travel?  

No comments: