Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Save Your Environment

Yesterday I gave you some tips on how to be a more eco-conscious consumer.  Today, I'm still thinking about the environment....my own environment right here in my home.

Have you ever been to a hotel or spa and just fallen in love with the way the place felt?  If so, what was it about that space that you liked so much?  For me, I respond well to places that smell good, that are interesting but streamlined, and that have soft lighting.

Knowing that, here are a few tips to bringing that relaxing spa/hotel feel to my own "beauty temple," my bathroom:
Consider scent.
Smell is so important.  Spas almost always smell amazing--like sandlewood, candles, incense, and relaxation.  My own bathroom smells like cleaning products, soap, lotion, and other products.  It's not a bad smell, but it's also not relaxing and inviting.  Add a reed diffuser to your room.  I really like Soap and Paper Factory Aromatic's petite Room Diffusers. They're oil based, biodegradable, and phthalate free and come inn enticing scents like Jasmine, Gardenia, and Geranium. (Price: $32)
Keep it simple and clean.
I love spas and hotels because they're so clean and uncluttered.  My own bathroom is typically filled with baskets of products, a half dozen hair brushes, and too many hair care tools lying around.  The clutter makes my own bathroom less restful.  It's tough, but I think it's important to cull through my stash of products on a semi-regular basis. Less is more...and less is a look I love.  Put your cabinets to work by adding an undersink caddy like the one above to corral your tools and hair care gear. (Price: $19.99)

When it comes to color and art, I respond most to earthtones--subtle greens, grays, tans.  Sure these aren't the most exciting colors, but they're warm and relaxing.

Tackle the lighting.
My master bathroom originally came with that awful Hollywood lighting strip of bare, oversized bulbs over the huge mirror.  I hated them. They felt cheap, they were too bright, and they made the room to hot.  We replaced them--it's amazing how doing that made the space feel so much better.  Other ideas for tackling lighting: add dimmer switches so you can control the amount of light, incorporate lamps, and bring in candles.

1 comment:

Supergirl said...

Nice post:)