Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rest for the Weary

When life gets crazy, this is where I go.
I know this sounds cliched, but wow...where has this month, this year, gone? I feel like the holiday season just ended yesterday, but it's already the end of March. Time flies.

How's 2013 going for you? In my house, we are insanely busy. My husband is dealing with big changes at work that have required longer than normal work days and weekend hours. My work is filled with weird uncertainties and tons of stress. Right now, the Mister and I just trying to hang on until July, when things should get both more certain and more quiet. Until then, yikes.

How do you deal with super stressful periods of your life? I think it's really important to strive for some degree of work/life balance. When I'm in the midst of craziness, it's so easy to resort to vices: eating, shopping, drinking. But I try to remind myself about what really works:

1) Eating right. Taking the time to eat right may seem impossible and boring, but staying healthy lets you deal better with life. Preparing a wholesome meal can be a relaxing ritual, and stopping to eat at a table, away from the TV and other distractions forces you to focus on your food and the moment...not on all the drama around you.

2) Getting sleep. Everyone at my work complains about being tired, and the remedy sounds so easy: sleep more, sleep better. When I was in my 20s, I was under the delusional that I only needed 5 hours of sleep. What an idiot. Now, my husband and I make sleep a priority. We go to bed earlier than I ever imagined we would, and we keep a consistent bedtime during the week. Our bedroom is dark and cool, and I wear earplugs to block out distractions.

3) Getting exercise. I'm struggling with this right now, and I'm paying the price. I need at least 30 minutes of exercise a day...when I get that, I sleep better, eat better, and feel better. I'm not a fan of working out first thing in the morning, but I need to start. Otherwise my day gets too crazy and exercise doesn't happen.

4) Getting away, when possible. My coworker recently said she was in dire need of a vacation, and I wholeheartedly agree. I'm lucky enough to have access to a house on the Pacific about 3 hours away from home. If I can't make the 6-hour round trip drive, I try to take a day trip someplace relaxing (like a public garden) or new. There are times when what I need is a change of scenery more than anything else.

How do you reduce your stress? Leave me a comment!

No comments: