Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Back to Basics

I mentioned that I am somewhat frustrated with fads and rampant consumerism lately.  I have beauty products all over my house--in my bathroom, my bedroom, my office...everywhere.  It's all just too much.  These days, I've tuned out of all the trends and just focused on using a few of my favorite products.  Sure, it's boring to use the same things over and over again, but I figure that if I keep going back to certain products, it's for a good reason: they work the way I want them to.

So, what are my favorite go-to basics?  Here are a few:


Face Wash: Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub
Sure, there are plenty of more expensive products on the market, but I keep going back to this one.  I almost always have a tube of it in my shower and use it in the mornings.  I like that it exfoliates while it cleans, and it's not too aggressive with the scrubbing.  It leaves my skin feeling good, plus it helps to battle zits (which I still get even though I've been out of high school for ages...not fair!).  I am not in love with the way the scrub smells (it faintly reminds me of cat pee, not grapefruit), but the scent isn't so awful that it keeps me from using it.

Face Wipes: Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes
I love face wipes!  They make taking off makeup a snap, and let's face it--there are times when I'm just feeling way too lazy to really wash my face.  I use these towelettes everyday after work, before exercising, etc.  The towelettes sometime irritate my eyes a tiny bit, but that's only occasional and they do such a great job of removing foundation, mascara, liner, etc. that I keep using them.  I buy big packs of these at Costco because I use them so much!


Moisturizer: Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer, SPF 15 for Sensitive Skin
I have been using this for years.  My mother has always used Olay, so I think I must get my love of this product from her.  It's inexpensive, readily available, and it does a great job of moisturizing my skin every day.  I even got my husband using it to battle his dry skin and to give him a little bit of sun protection.  If I could only have one moisturizer, this would be it.  It's consistent and that's all I need.


Hair Treatment: Organix Moroccan Oil Penetrating Hair Treatment
My hair is not overly dry (though it has been processed, so it tends to need a little help), but this product really helps to improve my hair texture.  I don't like to do anything fancy with my hair--I have virtually no skills when it comes to taming my mane--and this is the only product I consistently use.  I put a little bit on my hair before I dry it and it seems to make my hair sleeker, less frizzy, and it gives a great deal of shine.  Not bad for a drugstore product.  Plus a bottle seems to last for ages, so that makes a reasonably priced product even better!

Lip Treatment: eos Organic Lip Balm Sphere in Mint
This little orb of lip balm is amazing! It has a great, light mint flavor and it leave my lips hydrated and smooth.  Because of the spherical shape of the packaging, eos is easy to find amid all the clutter on my bedside table.  There are so many decent lip products on the market, but I always make sure to have one of these lying around.

None of these products are very exciting...and none of them are very expensive!...but I use them so often that I can't imagine my beauty routine without them.  Sure, there are probably better things out there, but I guess I'm loyal.  What are your go-to products?

4 comments:

Anna Luciano of Sicilianna Beauty said...

Great choices. I use that same Olay moisturizer but from Normal skin!

the creation of beauty is art. said...

These are great basics. Sometimes it's nice to step back and really assess what is important and what isn't!
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

Megan Gelderd said...

Love the Neutrogena oil free face wash, its been a strong favourite of mine for a while now. x

abrunettesbeautyblog.blogspot.com

Lipstick Graffiti said...

You can't beat Olay. My mom used it too, and I have tried other products but always come back to Olay.