Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Taming the Mane

A few posts ago, I was lamenting my inability to deal with my hair.  My hair was frizzy and out of control.  Since that post, I've done a few things...and I've had some decent results.

CUT AND COLOR
Here's an embarrassing fact: I go ages between hair cuts.  Yes, I am an alleged beauty blogger.  Yes, I know better.  I don't have an excuse for the huge lapses between cuts...I guess it's just laziness.  I'd finally had it with my split ends, I scheduled an hour+ with my stylist to refresh my highlights, trim away my dead, split ends, and give my hair some shape.  That helps...a lot!

PRODUCTS
I have also been trying out a few different products (on different days...I don't use these all together...all at once).  Here's what's been on my hair rotation:
Organix Moroccan Argan Oil: Available at big box stores for about $8.  A little bit of this oil goes a long way, so my bottle has really lasted a long time.  I put it in my hair when I just get out of the shower, and it seems to make my hair much smoother after I'm done blow drying.
Sebastian Potion 9 Light: Available in salons and online for less than $17.  I love the way this smells and make my hair feel.  It provides a flexible hold, lasting moisture and styling manageability.  I spray it on before blow drying, and it give my hair a polished, finished look.
Verb Finishing Polish: On sale now at Ulta (with a whole line of nice hair products) for $12.  After my hair is dried and styled, I run a small dollop through my hair, concentrating mostly on the ends.  It really helps control the flyaways, taming split ends and frizz. 


TOOLS
I've been trying to be a little less aggressive when it comes to combing my wet hair.  To help me, I've been using a wide tooth comb.

I think I might need to pickup a new hair dryer.  My current dryer is ancient...I think I got it for free from Ulta many moons ago, so it's not the best thing in the world.  Here's where I need your help...what's your favorite dryer?  And, how much is reasonable to spend on a dryer?

Hopefully with the use of these products and with a more conscious effort on my part to take care of my hair, my bad hair days will be behind me.

6 comments:

the creation of beauty is art. said...

Hair is something I am not as great with. I try to take care of it and get my hair cut whenever I can, but I tend to slack when it comes to my hair. I'm also trying to work on this!
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

WitchHazel said...

I just started using that organix oil, but I don't think it's doing much for me. I put it on after my shower as well and even though it makes it soft at the time, I don't find that it's very long lasting...

Ms Maddie said...

I just bought a new blow dryer- rusk speed freak. Before, I was under the impression all dryers are the same and there's no point in spending extra money on them. Boy was I wrong! This one cuts my drying time in half (I have thick, course, curly hair) and even makes it seem less damaged!! I absolutely 100% recommend spending the extra money on this one!! Check out my blog for more tips :)

Alana Mitchell - skincare tips said...

hi Lydia!!This Organix oil really helps. Can you please suggest me some skincare tips which could help me to get rid of my blackheads.

how to apply eyeshadow said...

To give your face a neat appearance with a well-groomed look, your eyebrows should be perfectly shaped. This gives your face definition and makes you look more attractive.

LilNishi said...

I just did an olive oil hair treatment at home and LOVED it!! Highly recommend! Plus you don't have to go out and buy a product because odds are there's already olive oil in the kitchen!