Thursday, April 12, 2012

Body Lotion Battle!

I don't normally use body lotion.  It's not that my skin couldn't use a little extra moisture, I just usually don't have the time in the morning to deal with the extra step of lotioning up.  Recently I received two lotions to try out.

The first lotion was a new formula from St. Ives, their Naturally Smooth Natural Fruit AHA Complex.  It costs about $6 for a big 21 oz. bottle and is available at big box stores. It as been designed to moisturize and improve the appearance of skin.  It contains "all natural non-greasy moisturizers" that instantly absorb to protect skin from dryness while the multi-fruit blend with alpha hydroxides gently exfoliates to improve skin cell turnover and smooth the appearance of rough uneven skin. It promises that skin will be fresher, smoother and younger looking.

The next lotion was a mystery lotion.  I was asked to test out a new body lotion without knowing what brand it was.  After taking a survey about the lotion, I learned it was a redesigned version of Vaseline Intensive Care Total Moisture Conditioning Body Lotion with Vitamins E&A.  It is also available at big box stores for a bit more...less than $9 for a big bottle.

Round #1: Price
Both products are reasonable and I'm sure you could find coupons for either brand.  Since the St. Ives is a tad, cheaper, this round will go to St. Ives...by a few bucks.

Round #2: Scent
I'm super picky when it comes to how body lotion smells...and I have two viewpoints: I either like my lotion to be fragrance free or I like it to have an almondy or vanilla scent.  Neither St. Ives nor the Vaseline appealed to me for the scent.  The St. Ives was way too fruity for my taste.  The Vaseline was too perfumey.  The Vaseline odor didn't linger long and wasn't as objectionable to me as the St. Ives.  Winner for round 2: Vaseline.

Round #3: Feel/Absorption
Both creams are very lightweight.  You're not going to get a super heavy, oily feel from either...which is good.  On that respect, it's a draw.  However, the Vaseline seemed to absorb really quickly into my skin...much faster than the St. Ives.  And when you're like me and you're pressed for time, this matters.  The St. Ives lotion felt a little stickier, but it wasn't terrible.  Winner: Vaseline.

Round #4: Softness
I tried St. Ives on one leg, Vaseline on the other.  At the end of the day, I ran my hands over my skin and really examined my knees (which are a bit scalier than I'd like at the moment).  To be perfectly honest, I didn't notice much of a difference between the lotions.  My legs were smoother and softer than they would have been without the use of lotion, but neither stood out.  Round #4: Draw.

Overall: 
Both lotions are nice and effective.  I give a slight edge to Vaseline, but it really could go either way!

What's your favorite body cream?  What's the most important feature you look for when buying a new cream?

40 comments:

Tippy said...

I love palmer's even if it's thick!

tipsybytippy.blogspot.com.au

Alexa said...

Here in the Philippines we are experiencing hot temperature on a daily basis especially during the summer. Actually, now we have 34 degrees celsius temp. Anyway, with this kind of environment, I need a lotion that can be easily absorbed by the skin. The greasy feel is a big no-no for me because it triples up by the end of the day because of the humid weather. It is also important to have at least an SPF 15 in my lotion for protection.

meteacheralex.blog.com

Lydia said...

I love palmers, too. It is thick but it smells great and does an amazing job (plus its cheap!)

Angela Hall said...

I love that you found two really affordable products!

Saul said...

I love palmers, too. It is thick but it smells great and does an amazing job
Cheap Other For Sale

IBUZone said...

I love the scent of a woman, as a man. So lots of women use lotion,shampoo, and makeup. And make up tools is needed for every woman.

alana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ObviouslyFeminine? said...

Agree with the Palmers one, the smell is amazing, I'm a sucker for a great smelling body product (hense my love for bodyshop products) probably over quality, which is bad! Oops!

Alana Mitchell - skincare tips said...

Hey Lydia!! I've used various body lotions and creams.But the most effective skincare Products and skincare tips are of "Biore".

wedding hair and makeup said...

Amazing things you have shared about body lotion. I really like your blog.

Mariah said...

GOTTA AGREE,...PALMERS SMELLS GREAT!!!

And the thickness works for me, as it leaves my skin feeling hydrated all day...

makeup artist training said...

due to its smell , i like it

riya jain said...

Thank you for providing such a useful information and I have read your all blog post and its very interesting and impressive.May i know do you writing blog for Viviana,if you ,please contact me at this email id india.viviana@gmail.com

Sadako said...

Very detailed reviews on the lotions! Thanks! :D

Beauty Tips For Face said...

I love the information. i would like to read more about the topic.

BeautyByRen said...

Wow for only $9 this looks like something I want to try out :)

http://beautybyren.blogspot.com/

deepowers said...

What a very good products you have here.

skin care online

sanjana said...

hi this is sanjana from india now we are facing summer season.my skin is looking very dry and hard give me which lotion we have to use in this summer

samuelmorse said...

Hi, Nice post on body care lotions .Thanks for sharing with us.

The Smirking Cat said...

I love everything by St. Ives that I've ever tried, so I'd have to go with them on this one.

vanaja said...

Nice post. :)

Alana Mitchell - anti aging skin care said...

Hi Lydia!!
Wonder full blog on makeup.I'd like some advice too.
In summer, your skin is exposed to external factors like free radicals, wind, harsh weather, stress, and the ultraviolet radiation found in sunlight.
people will appreciate if you can just add some tips regarding anti aging skin care to your blog, thanx keep up the good work.

Jessica Lauren said...

LOVE this blog so much! I'm addicted! Haha.
It would make my day if you could check out my blog:
http://thelooneybuttdiaries.bl...

THANKS SO MUCH :)

Buy Makeup Online said...

my favourite body cream would have to be the organic shea butter body lotion by Juice Beauty

Michael Rabb Newton said...

I love Vaseline, good and long lasting products. St. Ives I haven’t used yet, after your post I am thinking to buy it soon. For this heavy sunlight period it is advisable to use any skin care lotion.

Ariel Dixon said...

I agree with Lydia. Palmers Lotion is super cheap and smells awesome...

Sana Kermani said...

Palmers!!

Pins said...

Love your blog.
I'm a BNB ( brand new blogger) and could really do with some feedback ( positive or negative), so if any of your lovely readers could head over to http://pinsprettythings.blogspot.com and give me a little look I would really appreciate it.
Love, Pins. X

studiomakeupacademy.com said...

I love Gold Bond but will try Vaseline, because of your review.

Kia said...

Very helpful! Love this post

bridesbyvanessajane said...

I like moisturizer over cream as they are absorbed in our skin n gives a soft creamy texture to our body while cream gives a cheapo texture of oil so according to me u should always apply moisturizer for further help feel free to aproach Bridal bridesbyvanessajane.

Elle said...

I like nivea but I barely ever use it because I hate that feel of lotion on your legs!

OFRA said...

I love the scent of the Vaseline Moisturizer, but it does not moisturize too well. Follow us back and then you can see what kind of products we have and get some great beauty knowledge!

OFRA said...

love the scent of the Vaseline Moisturizer, but it does not moisturize too well. Follow us back and then you can see what kind of products we have and get some great beauty knowledge!

Lee Orlian said...

I love Palmers. I have been using it for almost 2 years now and nothing (I think) can make me switch. It is thick and creamy and it smells so good making you smell all good throughout the day! makeup artist in chicago

LilNishi said...

I love Lubriderm! But I always feel like it's way too hot during the summer to put on lotion! I feel like it just comes right off, so I need a lotion that moisturizes quickly and doesn't feel like it's hanging out on my skin half the day. >.<

Amy Trenton said...

I've never tried the Vaseline one before but after your recommendation I think it would be safe to give it a shot.

tvcorners said...

I like Vaseline it make the skin too soft

Lovingly7 said...

I just recently added a post on my blog as well about St Yves.

I'm absolutely in love with the lotion. Using St. Yves for both body and face!

Definitely recommended.

http://lovingly7.blogspot.com/

Pauline Reyes said...

Did you receive the lotions for free? What giveaways did you receive this Holiday Season? Care to share? XD

~Pauline @Kallony