Thursday, September 15, 2011

Don't Bring Me Down

When it comes to beauty products, I am relatively jaded.  I've tried almost everything and there is very little that comes out that gets me all worked up.  I'm not one to buy into product hysteria.  But this month (or was it August?  Everything's blurring together these days!), I was flipping through the Sephora Autumn 2011 catalog and I fell in lust at first site with a palette from Too Faced.

Sparkly vampires love glittery eyeshadow.
This palette, the Too Faced Matte Eyeshadow Collection, had Lydia written all over it.  I hate super sparkly eyeshadow.  I don't think it's flattering or appropriate for a woman in her mid-30s (god, when in the world did I get so freaking old?!) to go through life with eyelids covered in gobs of glitter.  Sparkly shadow is fine for tweens, teens, and people dressing up like vampires on Halloween.  For me?  Yeah, no thanks.  I need something slightly more refined...and a little less Edward Cullen in the sunlight....than that.

No truer words have been spoken, Kiefer.  Your Lost Boys, though cheesy, were so much better than Twilight.
When it comes to shadow I am a matte fan.  I like color and shading that doesn't look like I lost a fight with a glitter-filled pinata. One of my chief complaints with Urban Decay is their tendancy towards the sparkle.  The Too Faced palette jumped off the pages of the catalog and straight onto the top of my MUST list for Fall.

Nine colors for three distinct looks.  Certainly ONE look has to be a winner...right?
I bought it, tried it, and I am so underwhelmed.  Like other Too Faced collections, they provide three sets of shades to create three unique looks.  In this case it's Day, Classic and Fashion.  I tried the Day combo and the results were "meh."  The neutrals were too dark for my liking, and the matte-ness of it did not produce the desired effect.  My lids looked heavy. 

Handy dandy guides to create the suggested looks.
Hoping for better results, I tried the Fashion shades, which are very purple.  They made me look tired.  Then I tried the Classic...and that really sealed the deal for me.  The color combo was much too harsh: bright white for the upper lid combined with odd blues that were much to heavy and gave much too much contrast.  I looked ridiculous.  So ridiculous that I removed every layer of shadow and started over again (using the kick ass Stila collection I told you about last month).

Too Faced's Matte Eyeshadow Collection could have kicked ass.  It should have kicked ass.  But instead, it made me LOOK like ass.  I am not impressed.  I normally like Too Faced, but this collection is a huge let down.  Save yourself $36 and skip this one.  Or, better yet, spend $39 for the far superior Stila In the Light Collection.  You'll thank me in the long run.

13 comments:

inmyhansonshirt said...

I hate when you get excited about a new product and it ends up disappointing! Thanks for the review!

http://the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

Sume said...

Whoa, thanks for the tip. It's so hard to tell what makeup works until you put it to the test. I only get excited after my makeup survives an 8 hour work day. I've gotten addicted to Tyra Banks' new site (typef.com), and I've been getting a lot of great ideas about eye shadow application. Check this one out: http://www.typef.com/article/cute-ways-eye-shadow/

Maia said...

I hear you on Urban Decay and glitter. What's with the chunks? I'm OK with a bit of shimmer here and there, but wow.

I got the Too Faced Romantic Collection as a bridal shower gift this summer and really liked it. It has some shimmery shades, but it's not out of control, and the neutrals are very nice.

M.K said...

I agree i bought a similar TooFaced palette and was sadly disappointed ) :

http://beautyswithbrains.blogspot.com/

MakeUpByNia said...

Thanks for the review!

WitchHazel said...

Oof.. what a bummer! I wanted this so bad. It was on my wishlist.. just got scratch off. Thanks for the review!

WitchHazel said...

Oh, and btw.. f-ck yeah, Lost Boys! The vampires of my generation! No sparkling! ;p

Bruce said...

thanks for a great post

Jessica Alba smokey eye makeup

Indian_view said...

Thanks for a great post, I loved your tutorials

Smokey eye makeup

astrorainfall @ beauty box said...

You are hilarious! You made this dud so entertaining to read about. I like Too Faced packaging though...very vintage girly type of vibe...

mavick3nook said...

yeah that true @inmyhansonshirt. thanks for sharing. hope to resd more of your post.

Jess said...

Thanks for the review!!!!=) now having second thoughts in buying that product...lol!


http://ilovemakeup68.blogspot.com

Sara blythe said...

I agree that glitter does not work well with the eyes. Looks like disco balls over the eyelids. It actually makes you look old and the eyeshadow looks like it's wearing you.