Monday, May 24, 2010

More Human Than Human

Happy Monday! I use Twitter somewhat regularly and follow all sorts of people. The other day, I came across this Twitpic from Perez Hilton and had to laugh. It's just too funny...and too sad.

Photoshopping and retouching is rampant in advertising. And I'm sick of it. I'm tired of seeing PR shots for Sex and the City with Carrie and Co. looking more like aliens than middle-aged women. I'm frustrated by mascara ads where the models are obviously wearing multiple sets of fake lashes. I'm weary of being told that already impossible to attain standards of female beauty have now been replaced by perfection. I am a real woman. I cannot compete with photoshopped freaks...nor do I want to.

What's your take on photoshopped pictures? Do they annoy you? Would you rather see perfection instead of reality? Leave me a comment and let me know.

7 comments:

phairhead said...

Even Dove's campaign airbrushed the thighs & tummies of the average women they have hawking their wares

Sara James said...

Agreed!!! totally annoyed because it still (even as an adult woman) sets an unrealistic expectation.

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

Wow! That's too funny! Apparently blue eyes are in, too? WTF? Definitely annoying! Also, I saw a pic of Jessica Simpson on the cover of Marie Claire and they were making a big deal about her doing the cover without makeup (I think it was last month's issue)in my opinion, I still think it looks airbrushed. I've seen other pics of her w/o makeup on TMZ and Perez and her skin is not that glowy nor do her eyes look that nice...sorry Proactive, but there are some things you just can't help.

Chelsea said...

I totally agree with everything you've said. I'm 28 years old and I already feel pressure to start using wrinkle-fighting stuff. It helps no one (not even the girls being airbrushed) to set this high of a standard. Good for you for saying something!

http://superiorbeautymakeup.com

Destiny Nicole said...

First, creepy pikk!! Second, I'm kinda torn bc on one hand, the photoshopped perfection gives 'you' something to work towards,,, or like the motivation to improve yourself. But I think it's equally important to show those same 'perfect' people in a more real setting. To maintain a certain balance, that even tho they look that good on a cover, underneath it all there still human like us. I've found looking at it like that really boosts my self confidence!

Anonymous said...

I agree that this whole Photoshopping thing has gotten completely out of hand. Even though intellectually I know that it's physically impossible for adult skin to be completely lineless, my inner critic always pipes up and tells me how very wrinkled I am in comparison to those airbrushed women. It really is a horrible message to be grinding into us day after day - I hope my young daughters somehow escape this exhausting quest to be flawless in every way at all times. In the meantime, I'll keep buying the endless numbers of creams, potions, and salves in my own sorry effort to achieve the unachievable!!