***Being healthier is something everyone seems to strive for in the new year. People join the gym, start exercising, eat more fruits and veggies and try to be "good." And we all know what happens: by mid-February old habits creep in, excuses pop up, and the resolution to be healthier gets shelved for another year.
Here are a few ways (and benefits) to incorporate healthy habits into your beauty routine:
- Wash your face every night. Sure, it may not be absolutely necessary, but it is a good idea to get in the habit of washing your face before going to bed. By doing so, you'll remove all your makeup and wash away any dirt or environmental grime you may have encountered during the day. There's no need for anything fancy. I don't advise using bar soap (it's often over-drying and strips away the good oils in your skin), but a mild face wash will do. Try Philosophy's Purity Made Simple or something like St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub.
- Start an anti-aging or anti-acne routine and stick with it. Like most things, being patient and consistent with your skin care routine is important. When you try a new product, you really need to give it time to work. The new year is a great time to start a good course of anti-aging or anti-acne products. Head over to the nearest Clinique counter or see a dermatologist to see what your skin needs. If Clinique isn't your thing, try other department store brands (like Origins or Dior if you have the cash). When all else fails, try Olay's anti-aging products. They're easy to find, easy on the pocketbook, and--most importantly--effective.
- Use protection! I harp on you all the entire year about this, but using products containing SPF every day will help protect your skin against the aging and potentially deadly affects of the sun. Stop going to tanning salons, limit your unprotected sun exposure, and when you do go out in the sun, be sure to wear SPF, hats, sunglasses, etc. Pale is better than cancerous!
- Stop smoking. Much like the sun, smoking will age your skin quickly. Giving up your cancer sticks will make you feel and look better both inside and out. Plus you'll smell better and think of the money you'll be saving!
- Get moving. Daily exercise will help reduce stress, improve circulation, and put you in a better mood.
- De-stress. Find a relaxation technique--like deep breathing, stretching, yoga, etc.--that works for you and use it often. You'll feel better and you'll look better.
- Sleep on it. Sleep is mysterious. No one is quite sure why we need to sleep, but we do. And the more sleep you get, the better. It's called 'beauty sleep' for a reason!