Note: All week this week I'll be featuring tips on how to deal with different skin types. Info from Allure and many other sources. If you have anything to add--a favorite product or great hint--please be sure to leave a comment!
Thankfully, I do not have sensitive skin. If I did, it would cut down the number of products I could try out for you all! But if you have sensitive skin, trying new products--or just finding products that don't irritate your skin--can be frustrating. Here are some tips:
- Read labels carefully. You'll want to avoid products containing an over abundance of chemicals. Look for products that are "fragrance free" whenever possible.
- Test before you buy (if possible. If not, save your receipts!). If you have sensitive skin, you'll need to learn how to do a skin patch test. Apply a small amount of product on your arm or neck--some place not too noticeable. If a reaction occurs, don't use that product.
- Wash and moisturize with care. Like dry skin sufferers, don't use a bar soap on your face. Instead, try a gentle creamy cleanser. Follow up with a moisturizer designed for sensitive skin.
- You can still prevent aging. There are anti-aging products on the market for sensitive skin. You'll probably want to avoid retinols and opt for kinetin or Matrixyl (a peptide) which is must more gentle.
- Combat redness and inflamed skin. If redness and inflammation are a problem. use 1% hydrocortisone cream twice a day. If any product causes redness, stop using it immediately. And if redness and irritation are especially troublesome, see a dermatologist.
- Use sunscreen and be sun safe--but be sure that your sun blocking products contain zinc oxide or titanium oxide--they're less irritating than other sunscreen ingredients.
- Philosophy Purity Made Simple, $10-$40. (My favorite creamy cleanser--gentle, soothing, and effective)
- Cetaphil Daily Fragrance-Free Moisturizer, $11.50 (dermatologist recommended)
- Philosophy Makeup Optional Kit for Dry/Sensitive Skin, $78 (everything you need in one box--cleanser, serum, eye cream, moisturizer, and peel)