Note: All week this week I'll be featuring tips on how to deal with different skin types. Info from Allure and many other sources. If you have anything to add--a favorite product or great hint--please be sure to leave a comment!
Acne prone skin isn't just for teenagers. No matter how old you are, acne flare ups can be painful and can make you feel less than beautiful. There are thousands of anti-acne products on the market. Here are some tips in treating your skin.
- Wash your face morning and night. Look for products that are specific for fighting acne. Cleansers containing 2% salicylic acid will keep your pores clear.
- Treat your skin. After washing, let your skin dry completely. Then apply a salicylic acid treatment to your entire face once a day.
- Moisturize...even though you think you shouldn't. Be sure to use a moisturizer that is labeled as "non-comedogenic"--this means it won't clog your pores. And since anti-acne treatments cause sun sensitivity, be sure to use products containing at least SPF 30. Every day.
- Treat zits at night. Products with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide will reduce acne causing bacterias. Don't do crazy things like dotting toothpaste on your pimples--that won't help. Instead use products designed to zap your zits.
- Avoid abrasive products. Grainy exfoliators can rupture your pimples which may make them last longer. This can also lead to some scarring. Instead, use a mask with sulfur once a week to soften skin and shrink your pimples or use a more gentle exfoliant.
- Use the right kinds of makeup. Look for foundations and other cosmetics that are non-comedogenic. Mineral makeups are especially good.
- Don't pick your zits! Again, doing so could lead to scarring and further infection.
- See a doctor if your acne is very bad or not easily treated. There are plenty of prescription products (like Retin-A) that can help you.
- Be sun safe. See #3 for why.
- Benefit Boo Boo Zap!, $20 (targeted zip-zapper that is gentle enough to use during the day)
- Clinique Acne Solutions Clear Skin System, $32.50 (starter kit with cleanser, gentle exfoliator, and moisturizer, all designed to fight acne)
- Dermadoctor Ain't Misbehavin Intensive Skin Correcting Sulfur Mask with Phytosphingosine, $45
- Bare Escentuals Rare Minerals Blemish Therapy, $28 (contains sulfur and helps heal, seal, and prevent blemishes)