Whether it's ennui, staying up too late, or over-indulging the night before, some mornings are just harsh. Even if you don't get enough sleep, there are a few tricks you can use to make yourself look more rested and ready to go. Try these:
- Get your blood pumping. Sure, lying in bed may seem ideal, but try to get up and get physical. Do some jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk, or (better yet!) have a morning quickie with your honey. Getting your body moving and your blood pumping will improve your circulation and will get your skin looking more alive.
- Hit the shower...but keep it cool. A cooler shower will stimulate circulation and will help you feel...and look...better when you're dragging.
- Exfoliate! Wash away your dead skin and the remnants of your night before with a gentle exfoliating wash. Avoid the harsher exfoliators that contain glycolic acid since they can make your skin more sun sensitive.
- Moisturize well. Give your freshly scrubbed skin a healthy drink with a good moisturizer. Be sure to use one that contains SPF to get extra sun protection.
- Be a tea-totaler. Well...not really! But if you have bags under your eyes, place cool tea bags over your eyes for a few minutes. The caffeine in the tea will help to reduce any puffiness.
- Apply concealer with care. Take care of your dark circles carefully. Try a concealer or foundation primer and apply it with a light hand. You don't want to over-correct and end up with circles that are too light around your eyes! Blend, blend, blend.
- Go easy with the foundation. Remember that foundation applied too thickly can cling to lines and other imperfections, making them even more pronounced than you want.
- Be rosy. A hit of blush will make your face look brighter and more alert. Don't skip this step.
- Don't forget your lids. If you have dark circles and tired looking eyes, chances are you're focusing most of your time on your under-eye area. But you can also do a few things on your upper lids to make your eyes look more open. Try curling your lashes and applying a decent coat of mascara, especially to your outer lashes. Also consider embracing a 50s style cat-eye look by flicking your eyeliner up and out from your upper lids. Finally, a little nude liner on your lower lids or a hint of white liner in the inner corners can really make your eyes pop.