Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Run To The Hills

Ok, it's official. I am old and out of touch....somewhat. I must confess that I have never watched The Hills. While I do know who some of the players are, I've never actually sat down and watched the show. What little I know of The Hills comes by way of Perez Hilton and The Soup on E! (who doesn't love Joel McHale?). However, I did notice that Avon is cashing in on The Hills popularity by selling Lauren Conrad-approved mark. products. Most of the products marked as Lauren Conrad "faves" are jewelry, but in their Fall '08 catalog, they mentioned that Lauren loves this color, or Lauren swears by this product.

Whatever.

Anyway, all this got me thinking about how important "celebrity" approval is in the cosmetics industry. It's everywhere in the fragrance world. You can smell like almost any celeb, from Sarah Jessica Parker to Mariah Carey, from Paris Hilton to Britney Spears.

And now the trend of celebrity endorsements is reaching makeup. There's the Lauren Conrad/mark tie in, the Kat Von D for Sephora line, the Ashley Judd/American Beauty (Kohl's) connection...hell, even Jack Black has a line of products for men.

This begs the question: How much do you value celebrity lines when it comes to beauty/fragrance? I'm trying to think if any of the products I use regularly are tied in with celebs...nope! Nothing I use has a celebrity's name attached to it. I do value the brand (Bare Escentuals, Maybelline, etc.), but celebrity endorsement has no pull for me. In fact, at times it turns me off.

But what say you? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this subject!

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I am more likely to buy makeup/beauty products based on what is recommended to me by people I actually know. Celebrity endorsements don't mean much to me.

Anonymous said...

I would say I am less likely to try out a product with a celebrity name. Who wants to smell like Brittney Spears or look like some tattoo artist chick I've never heard of?

phairhead said...

it's lame actually. i never go by name recognition at all. that's why california has a govenator. as a side note, The Hills is my guilty pleasure

Smirking Cat said...

I am less likely to buy a product with a celebrity endorsement, because I know lemmings will buy the product regardless of quality, so not much effort will go into a product that the creators know will sell simply because of Little Miss So and So telling the groupthink crowd to buy it. Most celebrity perfumes smell awful!

Brooke said...

Celeb endorsements do not really affect my buying choice; however, if I am out somewhere and see a product I have seen advertise on TV via celeb, I will go test it just to see how much I end up hating it (because that's usually what happens).
Plus, it's unlikely that most celebs actually wear the product they endorse. I doubt Lauren Conrad wears all Mark make-up...I don't think it's sold at Kitson or anywhere on Rodeo...much like her ex-clothing line :)

P.S. I must admit, I do watch the Hills - sad, I know...but I do love The Soup as well!!!

PikachuHater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.