Here are some tips for creating the perfect, elegant pony:
- Thicken up. When your hair is slightly damp, apply a dollop of thickening cream to your locks. This will make your hair easier to work with and the extra fullness will make your pony healthy and shiny looking.
- Dry your hair with your blow dryer. If your hair is curly or wavy, straighten it out with a natural bristle brush (like a boar bristle brush). This will make your hair healthy and super shimmery.
- Tie your hair back. Use a solid colored elastic without a metal clasp for a clean look. Consider using a solid black elastic, or a light brown one. Do not use a scrunchy or brightly colored elastic because you'll end up looking silly if you're over the age of 18!
- Position is everything! Your pony should be about two inches above the nape of your neck. If you go too high you'll look like a cheerleader. If it's too low, it will look sloppy and like you just woke up! To keep flyaways in place, use a tiny bit of spray to keep everything down.
- Push your bangs over. If you have bangs, brush them to the side for a more interesting, romantic, and classic look.
- Dress it up at night. Add some shine to your pony with a bit of silicone-based serum. Also, try wrapping a piece of hair around your elastic and securing it with a bobby pin for a more finished look.