I don't do a whole lot on New Year's Eve. I usually just stay home and countdown the end of the year quietly with my husband. But for all of you planning to go out for the big night, here are five hints for celebrating in style--and these tips can be used for any big event throughout the year:
- Take your time getting yourself ready. The party isn't until the sun goes down, so have a lazy day before your big night. Sleep in, drink plenty of water during the day, eat lightly, and indulge yourself with things like a long, relaxing bubble bath or an at-home microdermabrasion. Go on, you're worth it!
- Treat yourself with something new for the special event. Whether its a new perfume, a new shade of lipstick, a new purse, new shoes, or a new piece of jewelry, having something special set aside for the big night will make the whole event feel more celebratory. Plus you'll be reminded of the special event every time you wear/use this new item after your party.
- Wear waterproof mascara. You may find yourself laughing until you cry or working up a sweat on the dance floor. No matter what happens, the last thing you want to worry about is running mascara--the unintentional raccoon look is so not hot! Waterproof mascara is the way to go. Just use some eye makeup remover before heading to bed to get the mascara off.
- Don't leave the house without a few makeup must haves. Throw a lipstick and a pressed powder compact in your purse before leaving for your big event. If you have room, you should also carry some sort of shine remover (like shine blotting tissues), a Q-Tip (which comes is handy for fixing slipped eye makeup), and Kleenex.
- When you get home from your party, be sure to wash your face. I know, I know--this is probably the last thing you want to do when you get home late after a night on the town. But taking just a few minutes to wash all the makeup and pollutants off your face (and to brush your teeth) before going to bed will make you feel so much better in the morning. And really, don't you want to face the new year feeling great--with clean skin free from day-old makeup and other gunk?