Many of us are going to be drinking plenty of champagne and other adult beverages tonight to celebrate the start of a new year. But that may mean that you wake up on the first day of 2008 with a raging hangover, feeling like you've been hit by a truck.
Here are a couple of hints to help you feel better if you've over imbibed:
- Before you go to bed drink several glasses of water. Alcohol dehydrates you, so it's important to rehydrate as much as possible. Even during a big night of drinking be sure to drink plenty of water. A good rule of thumb is to have one alcoholic beverage, then a big glass of water, then your next alcoholic drink. That way you're getting more water in your system which may mean you don't feel the negative effects of your night out the next morning.
- Be careful with pain killers. While you may want to take a Tylenol or Advil before you go to bed, you need to be careful with mixing such medicines with alcohol. It's best to avoid it if at all possible. Just feel the pain and deal with it. You can survive this!
- Take you B vitamins. B vitamins are the vitamin workhorse. Bs have been known to help regulate PMS and they can also help metabolize all the alcohol you consumed. Take a B complex vitamin before going to bed to help restore your energy.
- Eat fruit. Apples, bananas, lemons, and limes have all been used to help cure hangovers. Try making a milkshake with banana and honey to calm your stomach and restore potassium, electrolytes, and other essentials to your body.
- Use ginger or mint. Both are known to help ease nausea. Try ginger or mint tea if your tummy isn't feeling great.
- Get plenty of rest. If you're planning a huge night out, also plan for a long, slow morning in the next day. You need to sleep it off, so give yourself time.
- Don't drink coffee! While you may be dying for a caffeine jolt, drinking too much caffeine will only further dehydrate you. If you really need a coffee, water it down or opt for decaf.
- Try a folk remedy. Some say drinking pickle juice, eating sauerkraut, slurping down menudo, or eating a bowl of chicken soup can cure a hangover. Like most things, it's probably mind over matter, so if you think this could help, go for it. It can't hurt!
- Get your body moving. It may be the last thing you want to do, but get yourself moving. Just take a walk around the block--getting some fresh air may be just what you need.
Have a happy and healthy New Year. See you in 2008!