While we all have our own "proven" methods for dealing with an alcohol induced hangover, a food hangover also requires a bit of care. If you find yourself saying "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" keep reading. Here are some ways to make yourself feel better after indulging in the wonderful sin of gluttony:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Before you go to bed and when you get up in the morning, be sure to drink plenty of water. Ginger is a natural anti-nausea agent, so sipping some ginger tea may help ward off any pending tummy troubles.
- Nourish yourself the day after. While you may feel like you never want to eat another bite of food ever again, you need to get back on the wagon and eat more sensibly the day after. Start with a light breakfast of gentle foods like fruit and yogurt to get yourself going.
- Avoid certain foods. Citrus fruits and overly caffeinated beverages can add to dehydration--not what you want when dealing with a food hangover. And (this is probably pretty obvious) avoid spicy and/or fatty food the day after overindulging.
- Take a walk. Go out and get some fresh air. Walk at a comfortable pace and don't try to push it. The cool winter air may feel great if you woke up feeling full and bloated.
- Dress comfortably the day after. Break out your "fat pants" and don't be too hard on yourself. Just try not to over do it again and you'll be all set!