- Boost your shine with a salon-quality shine boosting product like Kerastase Pixelist. These products are chock full of nutrients and gloss that add shine and protect your hair from styling and environmental damage.
- Try an at home glaze. I tried out Clairol Natural Instincts Shine Happy about a year ago with mixed results, but there are several at-home products that add shine or color to your hair. If you want to pump up your shine and your color, try John Frieda's Luminous Color Glaze.
- Use a clarifying shampoo more than once a week. Your hair should have some oil in it, and you really don't want to strip all the natural and beneficial oils from your hair. Clarifying shampoos are too harsh for everyday use.
- Color your hair more frequently than every six weeks. All those chemicals aren't great for your hair to begin with, but by dying more frequently than every six weeks, you'll end up doing a ton of damage to the health of your hair. And unhealthy hair never looks good.
- Spend too much time in the sun. It's bad for your skin, bad for your eyes, and bad for your hair.
- Shower in really hot water. This one is tough for me because I love a nice hot shower first thing in the morning. It's really better for your hair and your skin to shower in cooler water--its less drying and less damaging on your hair's cuticle.