I love your site and have learned a lot from reading it on a regular basis. I have a question for you. I have a bunch of crazy parties coming up and I want to make my eyes stand out by wearing fake eyelashes. My only problem is that I don't know how to apply them. Help!
Thanks for your email. False eyelashes can be really fun to play with. And there are so many on the market right now so you can get as wild and dramatic as you want. Since I wear glasses, I can't wear fake lashes....it just wouldn't look right.
If you want to add some zazz to your look, here's how to pull off fake eyelashes:
- Decide on your lashes. You can either get a full set of lashes or just use a few clumps of lashes on the outside of your lid to create a glamorous look. You also need to get the right color lashes. I say go with black--they look good on everyone. But if you really want to be wild, pick a pair of lashes with crazy colors in them. Just don't opt for fur lashes (yes, they do make them). The thought of some poor, cute mammal being slaughtered and skinned just so you can have exotic lashes makes me more than a little cranky!
- Once you've picked out your lashes, make sure the length is right. If necessary, trim them with very sharp scissors.
- Before you apply any other eye makeup, put on your lashes.
- With one set of lashes in your hand, apply a thin layer of glue to the lash base and let it set for a minute.
- Look in a mirror and apply the lashes above your real lashes, as close to the lash line as possible, following the natural curve of your lid.
- Adjust the lashes with a toothpick or tweezers.
- Apply the rest of your eye makeup. And since you're making your eye the focal point, have fun...go a little wild. Why not?
- At the end of the evening, remove your lashes with makeup remover or place a warm washcloth on your lids to loosen up the glue.
- Lashes can be reused--just be sure to clean them before putting them away. Keep them clean and dry so you can get at least one more wear out of them.
- You may want to practice with your fake lashes before your big night...that way you won't have to worry about looking like a fool in front of your friends.