Monday, July 09, 2007

Change Will Do You Good

I recently made a big life-changing decision: I changed hair stylists. My old stylist and colorist were costing way too much money and I wasn't feeling the love anymore, so I was on the prowl for a new place to get my hair done. Last week, I went for my first appointment with my new girl and she did it all--my color, my cut, my style. I'm officially a changed woman!

So, what did she do to so thoroughly change my look and my attitude to my hair? She flat ironed it!

I don't have curly hair or straight hair--I have boring, at times hard to manage, wavy hair. And I've never done much with it. I've always been a "blow and go" kind of girl...I just blow my hair dry, run a brush through it, and call it good. But now that I've seen the light, I'm a flat iron convert.

Yes, it may take a little more time to do and I might have to actually use a bit of product, but I love the smooth, shiny, sleek look I get from my flat iron. I know, I know--it's probably horrible for my hair, but most things that are good are bad for you, so why should this be any different? And yes, I know I won't be able to do it every single day, but my perfectly straight hair makes me feel a little more complete, more grown up, more dressy. I love it!

Not only did my new stylist turn me on to such a great tool in the flat iron, but she also costs less than half than my old stylist/colorist. God, what more could I want?

So, the next time you're apprehensive about making a dramatic change to your look, just dive right in and go for it. What's the worst that could happen? Even if you were to shave your head a la Britney Spears, you could find a way to make it work, given a wide variety of wigs, hats and scarves.

Change is good!! I promise!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Straightening wavy hair is the best ever. I grew my (crazy wavy) hair out for Locks of Love a few years ago, and I had to go to a formal even with 11 inches of unmanageable wavy hair, so my friends straightened it for me. Best. Thing. Ever. I don't even own a blowdrier, but I loooove my straightener. Sadly, my hair is too short now to bother. (Happily, my hair looks AMAZING short, with the waves that border on curls, especially in the humidity. Moving to Florida was another awesome hair decision, hah.)

finding the filth said...

i love my flatiron too. i resisted it for years and i have no idea why. it's so simple and easy. with my short hair, it takes longer to heat the damn thing than to use it.

i still don't use it all that often, cause im lazy and don't want to damage my hair. but if you're considering doing it on a regular basis, you may want to invest in a product to help protect your hair from heat damage. i like to use a leave-in conditioner, like infusium-23, or a weekly hair mask, like the one from avon. both are cheap and effective and keep the hair full and shiny.

Julia said...

I saw you live in Seattle . . . who is this miracle hair stylist?

Lydia said...

Hey Julia! I went to the Split End Salon in Mill Creek--to a girl named Erin. She was really attentive and did such a good job. Of course, knowing my luck, I'll go to her again in a month or so and will hate her. God I hope not!! :)