Sunday, May 13, 2007

Trimming the Bush

I was in the shower the other day, taking care of my own personal hygiene, and I was thinking about all the options men and women have for pubic hair. At first glance, you might think an entry all about pubes has no place here in my beauty blog, but you'd be oh-so wrong. Beauty doesn't stop at your face, and in my humble opinion, it's important to take care of your entire body.

Since we're mammals, we're covered in hair. Pubic hair used to have a purpose, I'm sure, but now in the 21st century, it's just there--about as useful as nipples on a man. So what are our options? We can just leave it to grow naturally, we can trim it down and leave only a bit behind, we can shave it into shapes, whack it all off, or even dye it (I'll tackle that in another entry some other time!). It's all a matter of preference.

Personally, I'd rather go a month without shaving my legs than a month without shaving the bush (I guess I'm not a "Bush" fan in any respect!). So for gals (and guys!) like me, here are the options for tackling the hair:
  • Bikini Wax and Brazilian Wax: I must admit that when it comes to my pubic region I'm a wax virgin. I really have no interest in hopping on a table, spreading my legs, and having some woman pull the hair out of my body. It sounds awful, and I for one don't ever want to associate pain with that part of my body. I'm such a wimp. However, if I were more brave, waxing is a great way to get rid of a lot of hair fast.

    If you're a waxing first-timer, you'll want to lay off the razor for awhile to really let everything grow back in. That way you'll get a better result that will last longer. The real difference between an ordinary bikini wax and a Brazilian is the surface area that will be waxed. A bikini wax removes hair just from the sides and a little in the pubic region while a Brazilian removes hair from everywhere (you can decide whether you want to have it all removed or if you want to leave a "landing strip" behind). It leaves everything (and I mean everything!) smooth and bare.

    Waxing lasts longer than shaving, and the hair that grows back in is finer and lighter. Of course, there is a degree of pain involved, and you have to be ok with having a stranger within inches of your nether region. So, not for the shy or those of us with a low tolerance for pain!

  • Shaving: Shaving is an easy and quick way to get rid of pubic hair, but you'll have to do a lot more maintenance. Plus you may have to deal with red bumps and mild irritation after you shave.

    If you haven't shaved in awhile or have long-ish pubes, you may want to trim them down a bit before you bust out your razor. To avoid cutting yourself (yikes!), you'll want to pull the hair up and away from your skin while trimming with scissors or clippers.

    Once you've trimmed off a bit, you might want to take a warm bath or stand in a hot shower for awhile to allow the typically course pubic hair to soften--this makes shaving easier. When you shave, please, please, please be sure to use shaving cream! I can't imagine a "dry" shave in this area! You also want to avoid using soap to shave with since it dries out the skin--not what you want!

    When you're shaving, decide ahead of time what you want the final result to look like. You can shave everything off, leave a landing strip behind, or even shave a cute little shape. Be sure to use a clean, fresh, sharp razor, and rinse the hair out often. And go slow! The last thing you want to do is slice something off, for Pete's sake! (Ouch! I can't think of anything more horrific than the possibility of slicing anything down there--OMG!)

    Once you're done shaving and you're done admiring your handiwork, you might want to apply some mild lotion to your newly bare skin so you don't overly irritate the area. It may sound unsexy, but wearing cotton undies will also help keep irritation at bay since cotton doesn't trap in moisture as much as other fabrics. If itching and redness are an issue, you can use a cortisone cream to soothe your skin.
Pubic hair removal isn't just for women. More and more men are tending to their pubic hair, and I think all of us who love men can thank them for that. While there are a lot of things that are worse than getting pubic hair stuck in your teeth (or throat), it's nice when your partner takes care of business ahead of time so it doesn't even become an issue!

I'll be back with more traditional beauty entries later, but until then, tidy yourself up a bit!

1 comment:

Serendipity said...

for real? Im the first one to comment on this???

OK--I am no bush fan either, of ANY kind. I am very interested in the brazillian, but it scares me and like tattoo parlors probably wont let me come in there drunk.

a good razor, good shaving cream and i have heard deoderant after are the easiest way to go.

hair is such a pain! grrrrr