Monday, May 21, 2007

Random Acts of Bitchy-ness

Good god, it's still Monday. This has been an amazingly long day--I had to work late, and I don't think I slept well last night. So, I apologize in advance if I'm a little snarkier than usual.

So, as I mentioned before, I was in Target this weekend, randomly walking through the cosmetics aisles, and I wandered past the Rimmel display. You know the brand--they're from London, they sell inexpensive beauty products to the masses, and they have Kate Moss as their "face." Walking by their wears, I realized that I have never purchased a single Rimmel product in my life. Here's why: I hate the look they advertise.

I am not the world's biggest fan or foe of Kate Moss. I know she's got a lot of baggage and controversy swirling around her, but I honesty don't have an opinion on her behavior one way or another. I just don't get her look. To me, her skin always looks bad--dull, or something--and her eyes kind of freak me out. So Rimmel, in an attempt to look hip and edgy while selling eyeliner, touts a very harsh look that accentuates her creepy eyes. And what's with that look? The 1960s mod-biker-dirty drug addict look? It's not fresh, it's not cool, and it leave Kate Moss looking plastic at best. In all the Rimmel ads I've seen Kate ends up looking dirty, grimy, and not at all attractive. I don't know about you, but I don't want to look like this.

I just don't get it. Rimmel's undying ad campaign leaves me cold and I can't get behind this brand. For all I know, Rimmel makes the world's best cosmetics...but because of their ads, I'm not buying.

What do you think? Are you a Rimmel fan? Are there any brands you've avoided solely because you don't like their ad campaign? Leave me a comment and let me know!

4 comments:

Sugarshock said...

I hear you about Kate...I have to say she looks kinda trashy in most of those ads!
as for me, I really dislike the Max Factor ads with Carmen Electra. not that the brand is available in Canada (so I wouldn't be able to buy it anyway), but I'd really never touch the stuff based on those ads!
what's with the red lipstick caked beyond lipline!?!

Lydia said...

I so totally agree about the Max Factor thing. The eye colors are horrific! I kinda like Carmen Electra, but in the Max Factor ads she looks really cheap. Come to think of it, I haven't bought many MF products lately either!

Michelle said...

Ok Granted that Kate Moss looks like an over paid crack whore. I think we all agree on that.

but I have been using Rimmel products for years. Thwy have an amazing liquid liner ( I'm a brush liner fan not felt tip pen) And funky cool colors that are just as popular as the big names, yet affordable. Now with that said, there are some things I do not use from them. But I can say that the eyeliner, shadow, blush (get cheeky is my fav) lipsticks and glosses actually do go along way.
I have never used their fondations or powders. They have questionable eyeshadow. Some of it is really good (I'm wearing platonic tonight along with their liner, mascara and blush and lipstick (airy fairy, which is a good Sandra Bullock nude pink)

But I do agree that we need better modles. kate is sick and needs rehab and a good sandwich.

What I think is that they need to begin to use models that relate to us. The consumer.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.