Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Mommy Dearest

Mother’s Day is just a few days away, and if you’re like me, you haven’t bought your mom a damn thing yet. Now, that doesn’t make you a bad kid—it just makes you a busy kid who doesn’t have enough time in the day to do it all or be everything to everyone. Trust me, I’ve tried and it’s impossible. So relax, take a breath, and absolve yourself of your guilt. Feel better? Good—now it’s time to start thinking about what to give to the woman who brought you into this world on the one day a year when she’s allowed to put herself first.

My mom isn’t a beauty fiend like me. I think the love of cosmetics must have skipped a generation because I always think of my grandmother as a super stylish lady—she used to have her foundation and powder custom mixed just for her when my mom was a kid! Wow. So, for me, Mother’s Day means having the whole family over for brunch (thankfully, the ability to whip up a decent meal has been passed through all the women in my family). However, if I were to buy my mother something girlish and cosmetic-based for mother’s day, here are three gifts I’d consider:
  • Spa Day! What mom could resist a few hours of pure pampering? There are so many day spas and high end salons out there, and they all sell gift certificates. Whether mom just wants a quick mani-pedi, or a day filled with massages and mud wraps, there’s sure to be something for everyone. To find spas in your area, check out spafinder.com. If you’re in a major metropolitan area, go to yelp.com and type in the name of a local spa to get user reviews (I love yelp!). Hey, while you're at it, spring for a mother-daughter spa day so you can benefit from this Hallmark holiday as well!
  • Put the FAB back in Prefab. Yes, it IS okay to buy mom a gift set from your favorite cosmetics company. You know what I'm talking about: companies throw a bunch of matching products together in a basket or bag with a cute bow on top. This could be a cheesy cop out gift, but if you focus on high quality products from a cosmetics company your mom thinks is too expensive to try using her own cash, you're on the right track.
  • Teach Mom a Thing or Two. Moms don't always have time to devote to updating their look, so schedule a makeover at a department store like Nordstrom's or Macy's. (Bobbi Brown always seems to have some sort of "in-store event" going on!) Since makeovers are usually free, you could buy mom a few new products that were used during her makeover. Just tell her ahead of time so she won't feel the stress of being pressured into buying something from an over-zealous beautician/sales girl.
Do something nice for your Mom on Sunday! Just think about how many hours she was in labor to bring you in to the world. It may be a bogus holiday, but not celebrating it could bring bad karma. I'm just going to thank god I'm not a mom this and every Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Toya said...

I got my mom the Living Beauty Palette by Bobbi Brown. Mommy always wants to look pretty, but she never has the right products and doesn't know how to use them. This palette has all the tools she needs to look radiantly pretty, but not over-the-top glam (which is what she wants). I'm going to sit down with her and give her a make-up lesson, so she'll know how to use them to do a day face and a night on the town face.