Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Hair Raising Experience

I just got my hair cut and colored (thank god) and now that I am back to my uber-blonde ways, I need to think more about caring for my color so it doesn't fade away.

So this leads me to wonder: How often should I wash my hair? I asked my stylist and she said I am to use a gentle shampoo every other day. This is a huge problem for me. I am an everyday hair-washer, and adjusting to washing only every other day is tough. I've read all kinds of articles with people saying you only need to wash your hair once or twice a week, and that in between washes it's ok to use anti-frizz type products. I even saw one website advocating that people stop washing their hair all together. I just can't imagine doing that. The mere thought of it makes me want to run to the shower, shampoo in hand.

I don't know about you, but I enjoy the feeling of working shampoo into a nice, thick lather. I like the way my shampoo smells and the way it makes my hair feel. So right now, getting my hair to behave on my "off" days, is a challenge. Apparently it takes a couple of weeks for hair to get used to less frequent washings, so every until that happens I'll be dreading the greasy, heavy-hair feeling that I get every other day. My beautiful color is worth it in the long run.

So leave me a comment and tell me: how often do you wash your hair and what products (if any) do you use on your off days?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wash my hair every other day and have done so for years, so i dont have any trouble with dirty feeling hair. but when i go to the gym and really sweat, i tend to wash my hair more often. i dont like the sweaty smelling hair thing.

hang in there. you'll get used to the every other day routine in no time.

Lisa said...

When I was in college, it was more of an "every other day" thing, but that was because I was a lazy, dirty college student. Heh. I wash every day, and I'm currently rotating between three shampoos (Pert Plus medium conditioning, Garnier for curly hair, and Suave daily clarifying) because I'm not particularly loving any of them but don't want to waste them.

I like shampooing too- it's definitely the part of the shower that wakes me up- and I would be worried about my hair getting gross without a daily shampooing, since it's short and gets greasy easily. Let us know how it goes though!

finding the filth said...

yikes - i dont envy the every-other-day washing... i always feel gross if i havent washed my hair in the morning.

but im planning on getting my hair colored this fall for the first time in about 10 yrs. so im sure im going to be freaking out when its my turn. damn these grays!!

Lydia said...

Ok: so here's an update! I've been doing the every other day thing for a week, and i can finally say that today, my unwashed hair didn't freak me out too badly. While I kinda like the extra time i have on days when i dont wash my hair, i still miss the smell and feel of my shampoo. It makes me really look forward to the wash day! We'll see how long this goes!

Serendipity said...

You know, i wash every other day and have for years. I even stretch it and wash every 3rd day sometimes. I find that my hair is actually healthier! My color holds longer, but the oils from your scalp provide protective layers that battle against the evil effects of drying and the flat iron.