Friday, March 23, 2007

Curses! Foiled Again!

Although I've dyed my own hair almost every color imaginable (I still have pictures of me in my younger days with purple, blue, and pink hair--I was soooo cool!), I'm not really that "in the know" when it comes to different salon dying techniques. Now that I'm all grown up, my natural blonde hair has darkened a bit, and I really prefer to keep my locks as blonde as I can tolerate. Thus, I've gotten into the habit of getting a partial foil as often as I can afford it. Then I was thinking--what's the difference between a partial foil and a full foil?

I busted out my mad Internet research skills, and here's what I found out:

PARTIAL FOIL
  • Normally, the top and sides of the head are the focus of your stylist in a partial foil.
  • Partial foils are sometimes meant to be "touch ups" between regular highlighting sessions.
  • Partial foils last 4 to 6 weeks, depending on how dark your roots are.
  • Partial foils are cheaper (though not cheap!), and are ideal if you regularly wear your hair down.
FULL FOIL
  • This technique highlights the entire head, down to the nape of the neck.
  • Full foils are preferable if you wear your head up most of the time.
  • Full foil highlights can last 3 to 6 months, depending on your roots and frequency of shampooing.
  • Full foils usually cost more than partials.
I don't know if that helped at all, or if it only confused the matter. I won't even get into the world of Balayage--that's another topic for another time!

No comments: