Spring is the time to think about lightening up...so, ditch your gothy black fingernails and try something new. According to Allure magazine, here are the 8 beauty trends for spring 2007:
- Hot Pink Lips: Steer clear from overly glossy pinks and instead choose a matte, hot, bright pink (if you're skin tone can pull it off). Allure recommends Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipstick in Wild Orchid paired up with Carousel Coral nail polish from Essie. You can't get much further from Chanel's Black Satin than this!
- Cobalt Blue Eyeshadow: Steer clear of the light, powdery and frosty baby blues and instead embrace darker shades like cobalt and sapphire for a smoky look that provide a surprising amount of depth. One word of caution: reserve this look for the evening, and be sure to keep the rest of your face (i.e., lips and cheeks) rather subdued. Wearing any deep, dark color during the day looks really weird--trust me. I've seen it done and it's never a good thing.
- Coral Blush: I so agree with Allure on the fact that coral is a great brightener. Just be sure to go for a coral with peachy tones, not red ones. Try this out for a soft, bright, refreshed look.
- Gold Lipstick: Unlike the hot pink lipstick mentioned above, if you opt for gold, be sure to have a sheer shade that has just a touch of shine. Just be sure not to get too crazy--gold glittery lips are not attractive! Allure suggests Chanel's Rouge Allure Lipstick in Luminous.
- Red Lipgloss: Add a bit of shine to a classic standby! Minimize color on the rest of the face (except for a bit of black mascara) and try a high gloss lipstick for a sexy, shiny red lip. According to Allure, you should check out Cover Girl's TrueShine Lipcolor in Fire Shine.
- Platinum Eyeshadow: Heavy metals are in for the spring, but it's time to move away from the dark side and instead lighten up! You can create a sultry eye without all that smoke. Instead, try a silver shadow swept up either to the brow or just over it. Finish the look with black eyeliner and mascara.
- Pastels and Soft Pinks: A hint of "baby pink" on the cheeks and lips creates a slightly flushed but healthy look. Opt for light colors that will create a soft and pretty look.
- Violet Eyeliner: According to Allure, lining the eyes with a shade of violet creates a romantic look. I've done this in the past, and I like the unexpected hint of color. Brown and black liners are great, but they get a little, well, boring. Violet is surprisingly neutral and really gives a great look.
What do you think of their picks? Do you plan to alter your makeup look with the change of seasons?