Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What Is It and Why Do I Need It?

Let's face it, the world of cosmetics can be confusing. There are so many products to tempt you, and so many companies making them. Differentiating between what you want, what you need, and what's just a nice little bonus can be harder than figuring out your taxes. If you've read my blog, you know this about me: I think makeup should be fun. You shouldn't have to stress about which wrinkle cream you should be using. Life is too short.

That said, a little education can go a long way in making us more comfortable the next time we step into Sephora. So, I'm going to try to do a "What Is It?" post a few times a month. If you come across a beauty product you need an explanation for, email me and I'll do my best to give you the necessary dirt.

For the first entry, I'm going to focus on foundation primer. Several companies offer this in their lines (see Smashbox, Laura Mercier, and Bare Escentuals for a start!) and they range in price from $20 to $40. Do you really need to make this sort of investment?

All these products contain a blend of vitamins (some add acne busting salicylic acids) and their lightweight formulas smooth out the skin and fill in fine lines, making a more even surface. They also help extend the wear-time of your foundation, keep dreaded "slippage" to a minimum (a plus in really humid weather!), and soothe and refresh your skin. Some also contain an SPF--you know I love that.

The bottom line here is that if you have a big event (wedding, big dinner party, etc.) and you need to have flawless skin and makeup, you may want to consider making the investment. For everyday use, I would stick with a nice, healthy layer of moisturizer. That's all you really need!

No comments: