Saturday, January 20, 2007

To Tip or Not To Tip, That Is The Question

Here's an etiquette question I am a little fuzzy on: How much are you supposed to tip for beauty services like haircuts, colors, manicures, etc?

I think there's a rule that you're not to tip someone who owns a salon, but what about everyone else? I go to a spa with a no tipping policy for things like waxing and nail services, but when it comes to my hair, I always feel compelled to tip.

In looking around on the web, it seems like the rule of thumb is to tip anywhere from 10 to 20 percent of the bill. What do you tip? Leave me a comment--maybe we can figure this one out together!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Carole just did my hair. Washed, Cut, styled and Dried. Charged me $40 and I tipped her $8.

Sometimes if I have alittle extra, I give her $10.

Anonymous said...

I usually go with 15%, but I give more during the holidays when I have a steady stylist.

If I really don't like the person, I resent tipping, but do it anyway.

Serendipity said...

Im a big fan of tipping the hair stylist and will often over do it. BUT if you really like the person, and you tip them well, they will take care of you later. For instance, the guy I used to go to would cut and color my hair for $80, so I always left him a $20 tip. Every 3rd cut and color was on him! His choice and it was great!!!