Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I Need a Hair Intervention!

I've had it with my hair. My experiment with letting it get as long as I can stand is officially over. Instead of being long and pretty, my hair is now looking long and messy. And brassy. It's so not good. I have my hair appointment scheduled for Thursday and if the weather allows (and it better), I'm going for the works: a new color and a new cut. And let me say, it's about time.

So, what do you do when you want to make a hair change? Where do you look for inspiration? I was standing in my local Barnes and Noble checking out the magazines, and there are a lot of very scary looking hairstyle magazines out there. Have you ever seen these? They're usually imported from Europe and the styles featured inside look either dated or too crazy for real life. *Sigh*

So what's a girl to do?

I've checked online and have had very frustrating results. There are way too many ads, too many photos of celebrities (no, I do NOT want a Britney Spears haircut, thank you very much!), and not enough good sites devoted to finding a decent, every day hairstyle. That's where iVillage comes in. The Virtual Hairstylist and other hair related articles on their site are a god-send. Yes, you have to pay to get full access to the site (and I'm far too cheap to do this!) but even if you go for the freebies, you still get a lot of good information about changing your style.

We'll see what happens on Thursday. But in the meantime, if you have a great hairstyle resource, share it in the comments section.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may sound weird, but I once found the cutest hair style from a Victoria Secret catalog! I guess you can find good hair almost anywhere.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

This all depends on how well do you get along with your Stylist. My stylist Carol, rescued me from my hair cut from the vicidan laced hairdresser. It literally was the hair cut from hell. I was crying and I normally do not cry over hair. I would suggest do not look at hair styles. If you are close to your hair dresser I wuld recommending talking to your stylist about what will work for you, this is including how much time in the morning do you have to do your hair? Are you comfortable with long or short hair? The shape of your face and texture of hair and level of maintenance. I never go in with a picture, I talk about my wants. Carol is excellent and precise so she knows me well.

Also for healthy hair- you need to get Hair, Skin and Nails by GNC. I sweat by it. And a tourmaline hair dryer, Conair makes an awesome one in Ferrari red. Also Biosilk. I use only the serum which I have stood by for years.

These are what I use. But i am not a long hair gal. I look like a Volvo driving soccer mom, yet I have no hubby or kids or Volvo.
So I do well with short Meg Ryan like cuts. But not so rats nest like texture. In Chocolate.

Lydia said...

"I look like a Volvo driving soccer mom, yet I have no hubby or kids or Volvo" LOL, Michelle!

Thanks for your tips. I'll have to swing by a GNC to check out the Hair, Skin and Nails you mentioned. I have a stylist I swear by too--I cheated once and paid the price. Never again. It pays to be loyal!