Saturday, January 20, 2007

Ask Lydia: My Man Likes Makeup, I Don't!

Lydia,

I'm so frustrated with makeup, I hate to say I've almost given up. To make matters worse, my man said he would like to see me do something with myself! So I guess I need some advice, saw your site and decided it was worth a try.

I have pale skin and green eyes. I don't know what my color palate is, and can't stand the way lipstick suffocates your lips. my man loves lipstick though, so I'm trying to find what's right for me. Is there anything that doesn't make your lips feel that way?

Anyway, I would like to know my color palate I can play around with. I have been using smoky browns on my eyes, but i would like to see what else could work. and please what kind of lipstick, everything I have tried makes me look like the walking dead with my skin tone.
Thanks,
Frustrated in Kansas

Hi Frustrated,

Thanks for your email. First, I would be remiss if I didn't say this (and my feminist friends would disown me!): You shouldn't wear makeup only for your man. If you don't like it, you shouldn't wear it. At its best, makeup can enhance your features and help bring out your natural beauty. At its worst, it can be a mask that draws attention to all the wrong things. But most importantly, you should be confident whether you wear it or not, and that means doing what makes you (not your man, not your friends, not your family) happy.

Ok, lecture over--I promise! So, makeup tips for a non-makeup loving girl? The biggest tip would be to keep it simple and light. I also wouldn't invest a ton of money into cosmetics until you learn what (if any) products you like wearing. Instead, look for products that can do double duty.

I'd recommend trying a tinted moisturizer--not only will you get the benefit of hydrated skin with the moisturizer, but your skin tone will be balance out all in one step. There are plenty of tinted moisturizers on the market, and you can pick something up for less than $11.00 if you go with Neutrogena or Cover Girl. Better yet, they come in shades like "fair to light," "light to neutral" and so on, so you don't need to know your exact shade.

For lips, try a tinted lip balm. These go on just like ordinary Chapstick, feel light on the lips (not suffocating like some heavier lipstick), and provide a touch of color. I'd recommend Terra Tints (available at drugstore.com) since it comes in a wide array of colors from very light and neutral to deeper, richer reds. You may also want to consider ditching lipsticks in favor of a lipgloss. Glosses are slicker and shinier and we all know that men are attracted to shiny objects (how else can we explain their attraction to Pamela Anderson?). Better yet, just dab a small amount of honey on your lips to give your man a very sweet kiss. As an added bonus, the honey will also help exfoliate your lips. Who can argue with Mother Nature?

When it comes to the eyes, you could get away with just a quick swipe of a really dark mascara if you don't want to apply all that shadow to your lids. You can also skip eyeliner if you rock the mascara wand at the base of your lash line--this helps define the shape of your eyes, making eyeliner not so essential. If you want to use shadows, you're smart to be using brown tones. A neutral palette is the easiest to wear, especially if you don't like a real made-up look.

To find your individual palette, you're best bet would be to talk with someone at the cosmetics counter or at Sephora. However, your buzz words should be natural, easy, and neutral.

Good luck out there! Let me know what you end up doing and how you like it!

No comments: