Thursday, December 14, 2006

Beauty Product of the Week: Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow Quad

What is it? According to their website, Revlon's ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow Quad "delivers rich, beautiful color that looks freshly applied for up to 12 hours. The long-wearing, velvety formula is easy to apply and blend, and the exclusive ColorStay formula means it won’t crease, fade or smudge. And ColorStay® 12-Hour Eye Shadow now features SoftFlex, for comfortable silky smooth color that blends effortlessly." Available at drugstores for about $7.00.

What did you think? I love high-end makeup, but I also love a good deal. With my pocketbook in mind, I decided to give this product a try for two reasons: 1) Revlon is one of the few drugstore cosmetic brands that does not test on animals, so I like to support them because of that. 2) The colors in the quad I used (the coffee bean quad) looked amazing, especially for the price. (Cheaper eyeshadows tend to be less richly pigmented than their higher-end cousins.)

I decided to lay off my expensive Too Faced and Lorac palettes for a week, and instead opted for the Revlon ColorStay Quad. I was expecting Revlon's eyeshadow to be dry and crumbly, and for the color to be either dull or ultra shiny. As soon as I applied the lightest color for my base, I knew my preconceptions were wrong. The Revlon eyeshadow went on like a breeze and didn't leave me with a trail of cakey eyeshadow flakes on my cheek. The colors were pretty close to perfect--neither too bright nor too dull--and they blended together nicely on my lids.

I've had more than my share of long days this week (with work and social functions), so I really put this shadow to the longevity test. Happily, Revlon ColorStay passed with flying colors. Even after 12+ hours of wear, my color didn't crease or fade. Though I may not have felt fresh and ready to go at the end of my long day, my eyeshadow kept up appearances. Needless to say, I was impressed by its staying power.

The final verdict? This is a keeper. Sure it's not as exciting as the more expensive brands, but it is a great product for everyday wear. The price is right, as are the colors and the extended wear time of this product. It went from day to night better than I did! If you feel that splurging for great makeup is a necessity, this product will prove you wrong. Save some money and try out Revlon's ColorStay eyeshadow quad--they have 10 color combos, so you should be able to find one that's right for you!

No comments: