Thursday, December 07, 2006

Beauty Product of the Week: Eucerine Calming Creme

What is it? According to its packaging, "Dry skin, especially associated with atopic dermatitis or eczema, is not just rough and flaky. It also becomes easily irritated and itchy. Eucerin Calming Creme is specially developed to break the bothersome itch-scratch cycle, and bring dry, itchy skin back under control. The non-greasy formula provides rich moisturization along with soothing oatmeal to calm the skin. Used daily, it helps prevent the recurrence of dry, itchy skin."

Available at places like Target and Drugstore.com for about $12, depending on the size you get.

What did you think? My skin has been a complete mess lately, either due to weather or stress (probably a combination of the two!). And, though I have not confirmed it with a doctor, I suspect that I may suffer occasionally from something that is awfully similar to eczema. Lucky me! My skin gets very itchy and dry and then it gets all irritated. Let's just say I was desperate for some relief a few weeks ago. So, I followed my own advice and turned down the heat in the shower, threw out the bar soap and replaced it with a liquid soap, and then picked up a mega-sized tube of Eucerin Calming Creme.

In the height of my itchiness, the creme felt like heaven to my skin. It is fragrance-free and is pretty non-greasy, especially considering how moisturizing and thick it is. It immediately did just what it was supposed to do, calm my itchy, irritated skin down. As the day went on, my skin remained itch-free. I noticed later that my skin seemed very soft and smooth, which was especially amazing considering the hell it had been through earlier.

It's been a few weeks and my skin has gone back to normal, for the most part. I am still using the Eucerine on a daily basis. This time of year, my skin just gets so dried out. The Eucerine has really helped to keep me moisutrized and to keep flaky, scaly skin away.

The final verdict? I was a little nervous of Eucerine at first because my mother had a bad reaction to one of their creams a million years ago. I've had no such problems. This product has, in my opinion, saved my skin and my sanity. It's worth every penny. I've tried an Aveeno product containing oatmeal that was supposed to be a skin-saver and I just found that product to be thin and medicinal smelling. By comparison, Eucerine seems luxuriously rich. If you suffer from any sort of dry skin conditions, this is THE product for you.

No comments: