Monday, October 16, 2006

Mane Event


I haven't had my hair cut since the Super Bowl in February. There's no real reason why I haven't gone in for a trim--I have no strange, irrational fear of the hair dresser, nor am I one of those people who gets stuck in a certain style for years. I just decided to see how long I could grow my hair before it got annoying...and it has just reached that point. My hair has become very long and lifeless, so I am going in for trim (not a cut) tomorrow.

This got me thinking: How can you tell when it's time to cut your locks or change your look? Here are some tell-tale signs:
  • You look deflated. Your hair lacks volume, is flat on the top and poofs out at the sides. It hangs around your face all sad and lifeless. It won't curl, it won't straighten out. It's just there.
  • You have the same style you did in high school. Sure, you buy new clothes, new shoes, new accessories. And why? Because styles change. Make sure you change your hair style as well!
  • Your color is off. Your highlights may be faded or your hair color matches your skin tone. The result? Blah hair that does nothing to enhance your looks.
  • You wear your hair the same every day. You throw it into a ponytail, hide it with a hat, or (like me) you just blow it dry and head out into the world. You shouldn't be spending hours on your hair, but it should look a little more polished and complete.
Hair is the ultimate accessory. When done right, it can make you look complete, finished. When it's been neglected or needs a little help, it washes you out and does nothing to flatter your appearance.

Since it's been awhile since I got a cut, I must admit that I am a little nervous about my appointment tomorrow. But what's the worst that can happen? It will always grow back!

No comments: