Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I Just Took One for the Team!

Wow--I actually made it through an entire episode of the Tyra Banks Show just to hear from Allure's Linda Wells. Linda has a new book out that's all about the world of beauty.

After reading this entry, you will have saved time (since you won't have to read the entire book) and your sanity (since you didn't have to sit through Tyra). Here's a super-quick synopsis of what I heard today--this is Linda's Beauty Ten Commandments:
  1. Lipliner should never be visible! I've mentioned this before and I couldn't agree more--this is a huge beauty rule. The "black line around the lip" look is so bad.
  2. When your nail polish chips or turns yellow, it's time to take it off. I am soooo guilty of breaking this commandment. I always figure I'll go one more day before fixing my mani. Hey--at least I know I'm committing a beauty no-no!
  3. If you don't want to engage in chit-chat at the spa or salon, just close your eyes. It's universal body language for "do what you need to do, but don't talk to me." There are times for yakkity-yak at a salon or spa, but there are so many times when all you want is silence. Making small talk can be a nightmare. Just close your eyes and zone out--it's better than pretending to be interested.
  4. When your hairdresser asks what you want done, show them, don't tell them. Point out exactly what "shoulder length" means to you. My inch is probably way different than my stylists.
  5. Ponytails anchored in the middle of the head look like you're going to the gym. Instead, anchor your pony high on the head or low, at the base of your neck.
  6. Only use a washcloth--never use a loofah or body puff. I so totally agree. Loofahs and puffs get moldy and gross. Who wants to wash with a sponge of mold and bacteria? Yuck! Instead opt for a washcloth and change and wash it often.
  7. Wiggle your mascara wand at the base of your lashes. Not only will this define your lashes and eyes better, it may save you the step of having to apply eyeliner.
  8. Blush should be applied to the apples of your cheeks only. Don't use blush on the hallows--you'll never create the look of cheekbones with blush. Just don't go there.
  9. Unless you are a man, never use a razor on your face. Enough said.
  10. Give products at least 6 months to work. Patience is not one of my strong suits, so this is a tough one for me. But, you should let any new creams or gels have time to work before deciding if you want or need to make a change.
There! An hour of my life I'll never get back all for your edification!

2 comments:

Serendipity said...

You are the BEST! I dont know where I would get all this great beauty advice if it werent for you!

Anonymous said...

i agree serendipity!
loved the top 10. some of it i thought was quite humorous.

jude