Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ask Auntie Lydia

Ok, so I am not the motherly type and am not going to have kids of my own. I'm fine with that, believe me!, and I'm happy being an aunt. The only problem? I have four nephews--not a girl in the bunch! So, I have no one to dress up, make up, or pass my girly girl knowledge on to. That said, I am here for you! If you have any make-up questions or dilemmas, please ask away! I'll post a timely response.

Here's my first question:
"Basically my question is.. welll my problem is.. recently I have went 100% mineral with my make up.. but I have alot of stuff I just do not have the heart to throw out. What is the age on these make ups , like when do they expire? I need justification to let go of the past."

Good question! I am making the switch over to mineral make-up as well, at least for my foundation. When I did, I happily threw away my cheap-o Revlon liquid junk. But when you have an extensive collection of fabulous make-up, it's not as easy to throw it all out.

I had an entry a few weeks back called How Old is Too Old? that gives a "quick and dirty" overview of the shelflife of make-up products. It's a great reference for when you purge your old collection. Keep this mantra in mind: When in doubt, throw it out!

But, what do you do if you have a prefectly good beauty products that you don't plan to use? The way I see it you have two options: give them to a friend or family member, or toss them out. If you opt for the give-away plan, never try to pass off lightly used make-up as a gift--talk about tacky! Be open and honest when you give away a used product. If you opt to throw out your stuff, you may have a momentary pang of sadness, guilt, whatever. I know, I know...it hurts on an emotional level to throw away cosmetics, but sometimes you just have to make the hard decisions.

If tossing out "unexpired" make-up seems too scary try this: put your unwanted items in a smaller make-up case and stash it somewhere out of sight. If you find that you are not missing the items after, oh say a month or two, it may be the right time to part with them for good.

Good luck! I hope you are enjoying the mineral make-up as much as I am!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thank you so much for the great advice!

I will do excatly that. If I do not use it, it is outta here!

m!