Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Spotlight on: Combination Skin

If you’re like me, you have combination skin. Lucky you! You can tell you have combination skin if the majority of your skin is dry/normal while other parts are oily. I my case, I my problem areas are my T-zone and my chin from time to time.

Here are some steps to caring for your combination skin:

Use a gently cleanser. You don’t want to strip the oil out of your skin, but you do need to keep things clean. I wash my face twice daily with Purity by Philosophy. I don’t think a bar of soap has touched my face in over a year.
Moisturize. Apply a light moisturizer only to the dry parts of your skin. Some times I skip the moisturizer and opt for an under-foundation skin primer that reduces the look and size of pores and protects with a layer of SPF.
Balance your skin. Use products that contain retinol or alpha hydroxy acids that help normalize your skin.
Control the shine. Touch up oily areas with pressed powder (or a mineral veil) or blotting paper throughout the day.

It seems like most women have combination skin. The most important thing to keeping your face in balance is to avoid the extremes: stay away from drying products (like toners and harsh soaps) and don’t over moisturize.

1 comment:

sara said...

Oi!!! I have combo skin and just started using a toner i have had hidden in the depths of my bathroom cabinet! Its biore and it will be unfortunate that i will need to part from it.