Friday, September 01, 2006

I Feel Pretty?

It seems like all dads have these obnoxious little sayings they like to pull out when their kids are down in the dumps. They say things like "no one ever said life was fair" while frustrated kids roll their eyes with a collective "yeah, right--whatever." One of my dad's many sayings is "lie it, you'll love it," a phrase that has sent me straight to a bratty state of whimpering more often than I care to admit. Well, I hate to say it, but the other day, dad's "lie it, you'll love it" advice turned out to be rather handy.

See, I had a long, weird week, one where I could have just thrown on a pair of jeans and a hoodie and called it good. I didn't feel right, I didn't like the way I looked, and everything was just miserable. Finally by Wednesday, I had had it with myself. I decided I had to do something different in order to make it through the week in one piece.

Sure there are a thousand different ways I could have escaped from my misery, but I, of course, chose self-help in the form of nail polish. I painted my nails a super black-purple and admired their gothy shine. The next day I put on a little more make up than usual and threw on a skirt and some heels. I instantly felt better, my mood lifted, and the week seemed to speed up a bit. Ah, thank god for nail polish...it really changed my outlook! And dad, you were right: lie it, you'll love it...it's actually pretty good advice.

No comments: