Sunday, September 17, 2006

I Don't Know How I Feel About This

Warning: If, for some reason, you are a man and you're reading my blog, this entry is all about periods. Yup, the thing men fear most--turn away now or just consider yourself warned. Even though I'm not blogging about a traditional beauty product, this is something that deals with the essence of being a woman.

The other day at lunch, my friend and co-worker was flipping through her copies of Bitch and Ms. magazines. On the back of Bitch was a full page ad for Lunapads. I had never heard of Lunapads, but apparently the company makes environmentally friendly products for women to use during their periods. Their products include: 100% cotton lunapads and pantyliners--reusable maxi pads in a variety of colors and sizes, lunapanties--100% organic cotton, reusable undies with built in liners, the divacup--a silicon, insertable menstrual cup, and sea pearls--sea sponge tampons.

As we ate our Lean Cuisines and salads, we discussed the pros and cons of such products. Frankly, the diva cup and the sea pearls kind of scare me a bit, but the lunapads and lunapanties are intriguing. I like the idea of a product that can be reused, and regular pads, with all their plastic and sticky stuff, are a little too diaper like. But I wonder how messy these products would be. It seems like we're going back to really being on our "rag" if we were to use these products.

According to their website, there are a lot of lunapad converts out there. Women from all over have written in with kudos, swearing they would never go back to regular menstrual products ever again. Some talk about how lunapads have changed their lives! Are you kidding me? This is a pad we're talking about, isn't it?

On further investigation, it looks like the lunapads come in all kinds of cute patterns like leopard print, Paris-inspired poodle print, and cool little disco dots. I never considered maxipads for their style, but I guess if you're paying $16 for a single pad, looks are important.

Overall, I admire Lunapads for innovative, good for the environment products. I don't know that I would actually buy any of their items, but they certainly had us talking!

2 comments:

ThePRGayBoys said...

We were LOL, lydia.
Our first reaction was WHAT??? followed by WHY???

sara said...

i am the friend who has brought such material to the lunch table!! And i have to tell any who are reading, I am going to purchase some of these and report back to Lydia as well as post to my blog!

www.myspace.com/serendipitousthoughts