Friday, August 18, 2006

Confusion in Aisle Four!

"Even I have a nervous breakdown when I go through the department store makeup floor. "
--Lauren Hutton

I was in the cosmetics section of Target last night and I overheard two girls, probably about 17 years old, trying to figure out which mascara to buy. The poor little ones were so confused. Here's what their conversation was like:

Girl #1 “So, like, what does volumizing mean?”
Girl #2 “I think that totally means it makes your lashes, like, a mile long.”
Girl #1 “Oooh. But, like, doesn’t it get all crusty?”
Girl #2 “Umm, I don’t know. Probably. You know, all mascaras are crusty”

I cringed. Come on girls, volumizing means just that—it adds volume (i.e., density, thickness), not length. And crusty mascara? Exactly how many coats of mascara are you applying to get crusty lashes?

Here’s the deal: Make-up is not rocket science. It should be fun. And yes, it can be confusing to figure out which product to buy, but the only way to learn is by trial and error. Or, of course by reading my blog! If they had, those girls would have snatched up a tube of Great Lash and been on their way. Ah, the ignorance of youth!

1 comment:

sara said...

oh honey! you have to step in and help these girls! now they are running around looking like....well teenagers! :)