Thursday, August 31, 2006

Beauty Product of the Week: John Frieda Luminous Color Glaze

What is it? According to John Frieda, Luminous Color Glaze is “the first easy-to-use, at-home treatment that delivers the results of a professional salon glaze, right in the shower.” The glaze comes in several different shades for blondes, brunettes, and red heads.

What did you think? I am a natural blonde, but I must admit to enhancing my color. I think without dye, I’m a dirty blonde. With dye, I’m more champagne. Would I rather be described as champagne or dirt? Hmmm…that’s an easy decision! Anyway, to keep my champagne from turning into brass (a far worse thing that dirt), I rely on blonde-enhancing shampoos and conditioners. Making the move to incorporate a glaze for even better results seems like a fair progression.

After shampooing and conditioning like usual, excess water is squeezed out of the hair and the glaze is applied. Glaze can be left in for several minutes before being rinsed out. For optimal results, it should be used at least three times a week (though it is gentle enough for daily use).

I find the glaze to have a completely unappealing smell…it reminds me of watered down hair dye, which is what I suppose it is. Thankfully, the smell washes down the drain with the glaze and does not linger in my hair. Despite the odor, the glaze keeps my champagne color truer longer and keeps the brassiness at bay.

The final verdict? John Frieda makes some wonderful hair products, including great frizz-busting serums. The Color Glaze is, in my humble opinion, an excellent addition to my hair ritual. I do notice a positive difference in the color of my hair when I use the Color Glaze. Though it does require an extra step in the shower, it seems worth it. It extends the life of my hair color and brings out pretty highlights. My hair looks and feels healthy—not overly processed or dry. If you spend a lot of money on your hair color, you may want to give this product a try between appointments with your colorist.

3 comments:

sara said...

okay, so its essentially watered down hair dye and its okay that it smells bad because the smell just washes down the drain??!!?!?! Honey....where do you think the chemicals are going? Im sure the fish will not be needing champange locks!!! :)

you didnt think i was going to let this slide did you??? :)

muah!

Lydia said...

Sorry Sara! I love you to pieces and you know I'm not an evil Hummer driving neo-con, but I cannot go through life with my boring ass dirty blonde for the sake of a salmon.

I tell you what? I'll make a nice donation to the save our streams people to clear my guilty conscience while keeping my pretty hair color. Deal?

sara said...

good deal!!! :)